Welcome to Zegarra Estate, the perfect home base for exploring the diverse natural beauty of Sebastopol, California, and its surrounding areas. Whether you're a seasoned outdoors enthusiast or just looking to soak up the lull of west Sonoma County, we have plenty of options. Here are our top picks for places to connect with nature during your stay:
- Bodega Bay beaches - Located just a short drive from Sebastopol, the beaches of Bodega Bay offer breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean and a chance to spot seals, dolphins, and even whales. Some of the most popular beaches include Doran Beach, Salmon Creek Beach, and Goat Rock Beach. You can hit Highway 1 and pull over when you find a spot that calls to you.
- Point Reyes National Seashore - West Marin County is blessed with this national park area that includes 80 miles of shore. Some of the beaches are on the Pacific, and some (like the very kid-friendly Heart’s Desire) are on Tomales Bay, so there are no big waves. From the lighthouse to epic hikes, there is a lifetime of exploring to do here.
- Armstrong Woods - This state park located in Guerneville offers over 800 acres of old-growth redwood forest to explore. Visitors can hike through the forest on miles of trails, including the one-mile Pioneer Nature Trail, which is wheelchair accessible. The hikes are very gentle and it is a spiritual experience to be amongst these ancient giants.
- Wineries with walking trails - Several wineries in the area offer walking trails that allow visitors to explore the vineyards and absorb the Sonoma-ness of it all. Some wineries with walking trails include Lynmar Estate, Gary Farrell Winery, and Benovia Winery.
- Russian River - This scenic river runs through Sonoma County and offers opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, fishing, and swimming. The river is also home to a variety of wildlife, including river otters, bald eagles, and great blue herons. While it sometimes runs high, it is generally pretty shallow in the summer, which makes it ideal for the littlest kids to splash around.
- Da Vero - This biodynamic farm and vineyard located just west of Petaluma offers tours that allow visitors to explore the farm's gardens, vineyards, and orchards. The tour ends with a wine tasting of the farm's award-winning wines. This is a great place to take in the pastoral beauty of west county.
No matter what type of outdoor experience you're looking for, Sebastopol and its surrounding areas are bursting with beauty. And we like to think of Zegarra Estate as a microcosm of Sonoma County’s splendor, as we have redwoods, Purrington Creek, rolling hills, and vineyards in our very own backyard. Happy adventuring!