VARIETY + VARIETALS
If you are planning a visit to Zegarra Estate, we’re sure you know that Sonoma County is one of the world’s most incredible wine destinations. We have 18 distinct AVA’s, or appellations, and 425 wineries. So there is a delightful diversity of experiences, from the wine itself to the ambiance. Zegarra Estate is located in the Russian River Valley AVA.
From Sonoma County Tourism’s site: “It's fitting that the Russian River Valley American Viticultural Area (AVA) lies at the geographical heart of Sonoma County. This is where some of Wine Country's best known and most beloved varietals really earned their reputation. It's the appellation — a legally defined geographic area — that set the standard for California, and perhaps New World Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, while remaining home to sought-after old-vine Zinfandel.”
Here are a few favorites* in our neck of the woods (and the driving, biking, or Ubering, distance from Zegarra Estate):
- Marimar Estate Vineyards and Winery (0.6 miles) - Located on 55 acres of rolling hills, Marimar Estate Vineyards and Winery produces award-winning Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The winery is known for its commitment to sustainable and organic practices. The wines, tapas, and architecture all have a Catalan vibe and the relaxed charm is a perfect fit for west Sonoma County.
- Dutton-Goldfield Winery (3.1 miles) - Established in 1998, Dutton-Goldfield Winery is a family-owned and operated winery that produces exceptional Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah. Dutton-Goldfield specializes in single vineyard wines, which gives you an opportunity to truly taste the RRV terroir.
- Furthermore Wines (3.1 miles) - A small, family-run winery, Furthermore Wines produces some of the most sought-after Pinot Noir in the region. The pinots here are really special and you can experience the grape in all its fabulous forms, from sparkling to rosé to a lovely glass of Pinot Noir.
- Kistler Vineyards (7.7 miles)- Kistler takes an iconic approach to winemaking- they only grow Chardonnay. They have taken that even further by only growing one clone of the grape. They are solely focused on perfecting their practices to bring out the very best of this Sonoma staple.
- Iron Horse Vineyards (3.8 miles) - Perched atop a hill overlooking the Russian River Valley, Iron Horse Vineyards produces exceptional sparkling wines that have been served at the White House for five consecutive presidential administrations. If you love sparkling wine, it is a must.
- Russian River Vineyards (4.6 miles)- Situated on 125 acres of rolling hills, Russian River Vineyards produces a range of award-winning wines, including Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc. Family-owned since 1963, this charming vineyard makes beautiful wines with a welcoming, outdoor tasting setting.
Whether you're a seasoned wine nerd or a newcomer to the world of wine tasting, Sebastopol's wineries offer a world-class experience that shouldn't be missed. And with the Zegarra Estate as your home base, you'll have the perfect place to swim and relax after a day of exploring the region's many vineyards. Cheers!
*A few of the wineries require reservations and we recommend making them for any of these popular tasting rooms– especially on summer weekends.